Get a Teacher Reference Number (TRN)

Why do I need this?

Mentors working with early career teachers (ECTs) need a TRN (opens in a new tab) to access DfE-funded training and materials. You do not need to be a teacher to get a TRN.

How to request a TRN

You need to apply to the Teaching Regulation Agency. They'll need some information about you, as well as proof of ID.

You can use a free email platform called Galaxkey to send your information securely.

Register with Galaxkey to send your information securely

Visit the Galaxkey site: (opens in a new tab)

Enter the email address you want to sign up with and complete the registration process.

You’ll get an email when your account is activated.

How to send your ID documents

Follow these steps to send your documents to the Teaching Regulation Agency through Galaxkey:

  1. Sign in to your Galaxkey account: (opnes in a new tab)
  2. Select ‘Compose’ to create a new secure email.
  3. Enter ’’ as the recipient.
  4. Enter ‘Request a TRN for ECF induction training’ as the subject line.
  5. Provide your:
    • full legal name
    • date of birth
    • email address
  6. Attach a scanned copy or photo of one of the following types of ID:
    • passport
    • driving license (full or provisional)
    • certificate of residence
    • birth certificate

Follow the guidance on screen to make sure you send the correct file size.

What happens next

The Teaching Regulation Agency will use the information you send to create your TRN.

They aim to respond to valid email requests within 5 working days.

Your ID documents will be deleted once your request is processed.

Find out how the Teaching Regulation Agency processes your data on the teacher self-service site (opens in a new tab).